Hiring a Veteran Earns You Tax Credits
"A number of HVAC companies who seek veterans as a part of their hiring process note that military members tend to already have significant training in areas related to mechanics. They also bring a considerable amount of discipline and strong attention to detail, and they know how to be well organized..." - Oanh Nguyen, Refrigeration School
In addition to the skills and talents military veterans can bring to a company, did you know that they can also help your business earn tax credits?
Businesses that hire eligible unemployed veterans can take advantage of a Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). (This credit is also available to certain tax-exempt organizations.) After recent changes, The Returning Heroes Tax Credit now provides incentives of up to $5,600 for hiring unemployed veterans, and the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit doubles the existing Work Opportunity Tax Credit for long-term unemployed veterans with service-connected disabilities, to up to $9,600.
Here's the various veteran-related tax credits your company could qualify for:
Unemployment Tax Credits:
- Qualified Long-term Unemployment: This is a credit for new hires that begin work on or after January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2019, during which the individual is employed no less than 27 consecutive weeks, and includes a period in which the individual was receiving unemployment compensation under State or Federal law. For WOTC-certified new hires working at least 120 hours, employers can claim 25% of the first year wages paid up to $6,000, for a maximum income tax credit of up to $1,500. For WOTC-certified new hires working 400 hours or more, employers can claim 40% of the first year wages up to $6,000, for a maximum income tax credit of up to $2,400.
- Short-term Unemployment: A credit of 40% of the first $6,000 of wages (up to $2,400) for employers who hire veterans who have been in receipt of unemployment compensation for at least 4 weeks.
- Long-term Unemployment: A credit of 40% of the first $14,000 of wages (up to $5,600) for employers who hire veterans who have been in receipt of unemployment compensation for longer than 6 months.
Wounded Warrior Tax Credits:
- Veterans with Services-Connected Disabilities: Maintains the existing Work Opportunity Tax Credit for veterans with service-connected disabilities hired within one year of being discharged from the military. The credit is 40% of the first $12,000 of wages (up to $4,800).
- Long-Term Unemployed Veterans with Services-Connected Disabilities: A new credit of 40% of the first $24,000 of wages (up to $9,600) for firms that hire veterans with service-connected disabilities who have been in receipt of unemployment compensation for longer than 6 months. The credit can be as high as $9,600 per veteran for for-profit employers or up to $6,240 for tax-exempt organizations.
- Certain tax-exempt organizations can take advantage of WOTC by hiring eligible veterans and receiving a credit against the employer's share of Social Security taxes.
To see how much your business can earn in tax credits, see the WOTC Calculator.
To collect on these credits, your company must do the following:
- Complete IRS Form 8850 by the day the job offer is made.
- Complete ETA Form 9061, or complete ETA Form 9062 if the employee has been conditionally certified as belonging to a WOTC target group by a State Workforce Agency, Vocational Rehabilitation agency, or another participating agency.
- Submit the completed and signed IRS and ETA forms to your State Workforce Agency. Forms must be submitted within 28 calendar days of the employee's start date.
- Wait for a final determination from your State Workforce Agency. The determination will indicate whether the employee is certified as meeting the eligibility for one of the WOTC target groups.
- After the target group employee is certified by the State Workforce Agency, file for the tax credit with the Internal Revenue Service.
Energuy puts its money where its mouth is. We currently employ several former military members, and we are beyond proud to have them as part of our team.
Join the Energuy Team
The Energuy team is always expanding! If you're serious about being the best in the business, then you'll fit in perfectly with our team. See open positions